Requirements for Obtaining a Permit/License
- An individual must be at least 16 years of age to apply for a permit/license.
- All new applicants must complete the required written, vision and skills tests administered by the Sierra Leone State Police before obtaining a permit/license
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign the Driver License/Identification Card application form.
- If the applicant is under the age of 18, a School Compliance Verification form from the student’s school district must be presented.
Sierra Leone law requires an application for a driver’s license to contain the following:
- Applicant’s full legal name.
- Applicant’s date of birth.
- Applicant’s Social Security number.
- Proof of the applicant’s Sierra Leone residency.
Acceptable documents for the purpose of providing this information include, but may not be limited to, the following: (photo copies are not acceptable).
- For full legal name and date of birth- Birth Certificate.
- For Social Security number- Social Security card (laminated cards not accepted).
- For proof of address- Utility bill, rental agreements.
For further information, please contact the SLRSA’s office.
- New drivers must pass a vision, written and skills test to be issued a driver license.
- No tests are required for persons transferring to Sierra Leone. with valid driving privileges, except persons transferring from foreign countries.
- No testing is required for persons suspended less than one year.
- Eye and written tests are required for drivers suspended for more than one year.
- Any driver suspended or expired for more than five (5) years will start as a new driver.
- All driver testing is performed by the Sierra Leone Road Safety Authority Officer on scheduled days at SLRSA office.